Geomedia ADN Cultural Heritage.
A walk trough the historical center of Paris.
The first step for this historical walk in Paris is : how to create this track and with what tools?
We organized training workshops /curses for seniors to learn the software «GOOGLE MAPS» and his use from a gmail account.
Thus we were able, while logged, to access into «GOOGLE MAPS».
We have organized several courses in which we observed difficulties encountered by seniors less skilled at this type of excercise
A example of a page of printed course support :
Now the second step was how to find the area we were interested by, i.e. the 4th district of Paris and in particular the map of the “Marais”.
After, we spoke about the short history of the Marais :
In the 12th century, the Templars cleared the marshlands located north of the walls of King Philippe Auguste. From the 16th century, especially after the creation of the Place Royale (Now Place des Vosges ), the aristocracy built large mansions with the building style used between the 16th and the 18th century. The transfer of the royal residence to the Louvre and then Versailles marked the beginning of the decline of the Marais.
In the 19th century Le Marais became denser by becoming an industrious area devoted to clothes and jewelry. But the buildings are hardly maintained, even mansions are often disfigured by warehouses and workshops. In 1969, André Malraux, Minister of culture, made the first “conservation area”.
Then, after a brainstorming, we conceived and prepared our circuit in this historic area and we drew the itinerary.
We choose also the starting point (Place St Gervais) and the end point (Place des Vosges).
The next step was : how use the 3 buttons in order to indicate the different stops?
To indicate a stop we had to click on the second button and to drag it to the place where we intended to make a stop.
And how to give a title to this stop?
When the mark is intended place we have to click on it , a label appears to be completed.
The departure point :
and the second step Saint Gervais church
We decided to make different stops :
- Hôtel de Chalon and Luxembourg (The Chalon-Luxembourg mansion was built from 1623 on behalf of William Perrochet, treasurer of France. It has been scheduled as an ancient monument only in 1977),
- Ourscamp House (Ourscamp house, headquarters of the Association for the preservation and enhancement of historic Paris, is a mansion whose origins are in the Middle Ages. Initially, this house was an urban pied-à-terre for the Cistercians from the Ourscampabbey , installed in Oise. It has a gothic thirteenth century cellar which was from the thirteenth to the sixteenth century, a place of storage of goods ),
- Hotel de Beauvais (Built in 1655 by Antoine Lepautre, the first King’s architect, this building has changed over the centuries. Its latest modification is that made by the state to house the headquarters of the Administrative Court of Appeal of Paris and a legal resource center),
-Hotel d’Aumont (Built following the plans of Le Vau in the seventeenth century (1644-1648) for Michel Antoine Scarron, a King’s counselor, the hotel was occupied by the end of its construction by the Duc d'Aumont, which asked Mansart to enlarge and transform the main building, from 1656. In 1938, the Hotel d'Aumont was purchased by the City of Paris who rehabilitated it. The administrative court moved there in 1959),
-Hotel de Sens - garden and - Bibliothèque Forney (Built in 1475 by the Archbishop of Sens, from which depended Paris. It is the oldest civil Middle Ages building of this magnitude in Paris.
The hotel houses since 1961 the library Forney l specialized in Art and Technology. Artisans can come to draw or borrow books and models),
-Hôtel de Sully (Hotel with Renaissance architecture. In the garden, Sully, Henry IV minister, has installed an orangery. )
- Place des Vosges (Built in 1612 by Henri IV following a project of his step-mother Catherine de Medicis, this is the first square in Paris designed properly sequenced and consistent. It contains 36 pavilions and until 1800 was called Place Royale. It was first a horse market place than became a place of lavish celebrations and favorite residence),
-Victor Hugo Museum (Former Hotel Rohan Guéméné , in which Victor Hugo (French writer and poet - 1802-1885) lived until 1848)
The final points of our track:
The final map with all steps :
After we did appear on our map images to recognize the monuments by clicking on traffic and then picture:
And at the we compared our results with an ancient map of the Marais.